E.M. Fletcher Writing Award 2021
Terms and Conditions
The FHACT Writing Competition is an initiative of Family History ACT (FHACT) which is a registered business name of The Heraldry and Genealogy Society of Canberra Inc. (HAGSOC). Entrants will compete for the E.M. Fletcher Writing Award, named in honour of Family History ACT Fellow Eunice Fletcher (a long-time member who had significant input into the formation of HAGSOC over many years). Applicants will need to complete a separate entry form with their contact details and submit this with their entry.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
1. The E.M. Fletcher Writing Award 2021 is administered by the FHACT Writing Competition Committee.
2. By entering this Competition, you agree to be bound by its Terms and Conditions.
3. The 2021 Competition opens at 9.00 am 15th February 2021 (AEDT).
4. The 2021 Competition closes at 11.59 pm 15th July 2021 (AEST).
5. Award winning entries will be notified by 1st October 2021.
6. No entries will be accepted after the Competition closes on 15th July 2021.
WHO CAN ENTER
7. The Competition is open to individuals over 18 years of age.
8. The Competition is open to residents of Australia.
9. Members of the FHACT Writing Competition Committee and Competition judges are ineligible to enter.
COMPETITION THEME, WORD COUNT, PRIZES AND FEES
10. The Competition will be judged to select, in the opinion of the judges, the best short story on a family history/genealogy theme. The genre of writing is not limited, so try your hand at non-fiction, biography, creative non-fiction or fiction. Whether you are telling a story about one of your ancestors or sharing a personal memoir, the broad theme allows plenty of scope to be creative.
11. Word count for the short story is to be between 1,500 and 2,000 words. The word count includes the title but the repeated title and page numbering on each page is not included.
12. References are not required. It is the author’s decision whether to include references. References will not be included in the word count.
13. An inspiration statement is required. In 25 words or less share what inspired you to write the story. The inspiration statement should be included at the end of your story and will not be included in the word count.
14. A maximum of two photographs or illustrations may be included if they are specific to the story (i.e. not a generic illustration). Captions should be 10 words or less for each photograph or illustration and are not included in the word count.
15. Prizes being offered are: Best story: $1,000; FHACT member prize: 12 months membership of FHACT and a $75 Society voucher.
16. If the winner of the best story is a FHACT member that person will receive all prizes.
17. Other prizes may be awarded at the judges’ discretion.
18. An entry fee of $20 for FHACT members or $30 for non FHACT members is payable for each entry at the time it is submitted.
19. There is no limit to the number of entries that can be submitted but each entry requires payment of a separate entry fee.
HOW TO ENTER AND ENTRY RULES
20. Entries can be submitted on-line though the FHACT web-site http://www.familyhistoryact.org.au
21. Electronic entries must be submitted as PDF, MS Word or RTF.
22. Entries may also be posted to the Secretary, Family History ACT, PO Box 152, Jamison Centre. ACT 2614.
23. The entry fee must be paid at the time each entry is submitted.
24. Do not include the author’s name or any identifier within the story. Remember to include your name and contact details on the separate entry form.
25. All authors must provide their own name on the entry form for administrative purposes. If you would prefer your story to be published under a pseudonym, note it on the entry form.
26. Entrants will receive an acknowledgement of their submission.
27. Entrants must retain copies of their stories submitted and no changes can be made to any entry after it has been submitted. Entries will not be returned.
28. It is the entrant’s responsibility to ensure that any postal entries are received by FHACT by the closing date, 15th July 2021.
29. Each entry must be the work of the entrant and must not infringe on anyone’s copyright or be under contract at the time of entry. The story must not have been submitted to any other competitions or to any publishers and must not have been published previously.
30. The entry submitted must be in English, double-spaced, in 12-point font and each page must include the title and a page number.
JUDGING AND AWARDS
31. Entries will be judged anonymously by independent judges selected by the FHACT Writing Competition Committee.
32. The judges may determine that a prize will not be made if the entries are not considered to be of sufficient merit or if insufficient entries are received.
33. All decisions made by the judges are final and no correspondence will be entered into. Prizes are awarded at the judges’ discretion.
34. The award winners will be notified in writing and winners announced on the FHACT web-site.
COPYRIGHT, LIABILITY AND PRIVACY
35. Personal details on entry forms will not be shared by FHACT with any third parties.
36. Copyright in all entries submitted will remain with the author at all times. However all authors give FHACT a non-exclusive, personal and royalty-free licence to publish their entries for two years. There will be no payment (other than prize money) made to authors of published entries. On completion of the awarding of the prizes, the licence to publish shall be null and void in respect of every entrant other than the winner and the runners-up.