Donations to the Library
Offers of donations are gratefully received. Please read our guidelines to ensure you understand what we collect and what we don’t collect.
We selectively collect:
- Guides for genealogists that are authoritative and up-to-date
- Records and indexes for archival and other resources of interest to genealogists
- Published family histories of good quality and likely to be relevant to our members’ research
- Original and certified copies of BDM certificates from any jurisdiction
- Local histories of the Australian Capital region of high value to family historians (encompassing ACT plus NSW local government areas of Eurobodalla and the Bega Valley, west along the New South Wales/Victorian border to include Tumbarumba, then northwards to include the areas of Young, Boorowa and Upper Lachlan)
- Australian biographical and pioneer registers
- Genealogy journals (not society newsletters)
We do not generally collect:
- Records or indexes in any format that are available to members online (Ancestry, FamilySearch, FindMyPast, cemetery databases, etc.)
- Australian history including local histories that are held by the National Library here
- Biographical dictionaries e.g. Who’s who, professional lists etc. that are held by the National Library
- General reference works that are held by the National Library
- History of overseas jurisdictions
- Copies of The Ancestral Searcher
Always check our catalogue here – please do not offer items that are already in our Library.
If you have items that fit with our guidelines, please complete the FHACT Library Donation Offer Form. You can post the form to Secretary, Family History ACT, PO Box 152 Jamison Centre ACT 2614 or drop it at the library in Cook. Our volunteers will get back to you.